JANUARY KEY FIGURES
December 2017 to January 2018
|Turnover at current prices |
|Seasonally Adjusted |
JANUARY KEY POINTS
Current Prices -
- The trend estimate rose 0.3% in January 2018. This follows a rise of 0.3% in December 2017 and a rise of 0.2% in November 2017.
- The seasonally adjusted estimate rose 0.1% in January 2018. This follows a fall of 0.5% in December 2017 and a rise of 1.3% in November 2017.
- In trend terms, Australian turnover rose 2.3% in January 2018 compared with January 2017.
- The following industries rose in trend terms in January 2018: Food retailing (0.3%), Household goods retailing (0.5%), Cafes, restaurants and takeaway food services (0.3%), Clothing, footwear and personal accessory retailing (0.3%), and Other retailing (0.1%). Department stores (-0.2%) fell in trend terms in January 2018.
- The following states and territories rose in trend terms in January 2018: Victoria (0.5%), Queensland (0.3%), New South Wales (0.2%), South Australia (0.5%), Western Australia (0.1%), and Tasmania (0.3%). The Australian Capital Territory was relatively unchanged (0.0%). The Northern Territory (-0.1%) fell in trend terms in January 2018.
CHANGES IN THIS ISSUE
|ISSUE ||Release Date|
|February 2018 ||4 April 2018|
|March 2018 ||8 May 2018|
|April 2018 ||4 June 2018|
|May 2018 ||4 July 2018|
|June 2018 ||3 August 2018|
|July 2018 ||3 September 2018|
This issue includes updated online retail turnover estimates for the January 2018 reference month and updated consumer sales estimates for the December 2017 quarter.
There are no revisions to the original estimates. Revisions to seasonally adjusted estimates are due to the concurrent methodology for deriving seasonal factors. For information on seasonal adjustment and trend estimation please refer to the explanatory notes of this publication.
TIME SERIES DATA
Data available from the Downloads tab of this issue on the ABS website include longer time series of tables in this publication:
- Monthly retail turnover by state and 15 industry subgroups in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Monthly retail turnover completely enumerated and sample sectors, by six industry groups and also by state in original terms
- Monthly retail turnover completely enumerated sector, total level in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Quarterly retail chain volume measures by six industry groups and also by state in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Quarterly retail turnover per capita in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Quarterly sales to households by selected service industries in original terms.