5518.0.55.001 - Government Finance Statistics, Education, Australia, 2015-16 Quality Declaration
ARCHIVED ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 27/04/2017
|Page tools: Print Page Print All|
GOVERNMENT EXPENDITURE ON EDUCATION IN AUSTRALIA
This release contains statistics on expenditure on education by the general government sector for the period 2006-07 to 2015-16. These data are presented on an accrual accounting basis and are taken from the system of Government Finance Statistics (GFS).
Government expenditure on education refers to expenditure on all levels of education, such as pre-school, primary, secondary, university, and technical and further education (TAFE), by the general government sector. It excludes expenditure on courses provided by non-educational institutions, such as the vocational training programs of private businesses.
The summary tables below present government operating expenses on education by level of government, by purpose (i.e. by type of education), and by economic transaction (i.e. by type of expenditure) for the period 2010-11 to 2015-16.
Operating expenditure on education by all levels of general government increased by $3,286m (3.9%), from $84,571m in 2014-15 to $87,857m in 2015-16. Total expenditure on education by the Commonwealth Government was $32,312m, with expenditure by the state and local governments totalling $58,352m. Intra-sector transfers were $29,485m.
Of the total operating expenditure on education in 2015-16, $45,236m (51.5%) was spent on primary and secondary education and $31,643m (36.0%) on tertiary education (universities and TAFEs). Employee expenses of $45,235m accounted for 51.5% of total educational expenses with the remaining 48.5% being on non-employee expenses ($19,855m), depreciation ($3,988m), and transfer expenses ($18,780m).
Source(s): Government Finance Statistics, Education, Australia
These documents will be presented in a new window.