Median weekly rental payments
- In 2011, the median household rent for the Northern Territory was $225 per week, compared with $285 for Australia.
- The Local Government Areas (LGA) with the highest median rent payments were the city areas of Darwin and Palmerston, both with recorded median rents of $360 per week. This was considerably higher than the median rents for the Northern Territory and Australia.
- The LGAs of Alice Springs and Litchfield reported weekly median rental payments of $300.
MEDIAN WEEKLY RENTAL PAYMENT(a), by Local Government Area, Northern Territory, 2011
(a) Applicable to occupied private dwellings which were being rented (or occupied rent-free) by a member of the household. Excludes 'Visitor only' and 'Other non-classifiable' households.
Changes in median weekly rental payments
- In the Northern Territory, the LGA with the fastest growth in median weekly rental payments between 2006 and 2011 was Palmerston (89.5%), an urban centre located about 20 kilometres south-east of the capital city of Darwin.
- The areas with the fastest growth in median rents were located in the Greater Darwin region, with increases of 80% and above.
FASTEST GROWTH IN MEDIAN WEEKLY RENTAL PAYMENTS(a), by Local Government Area(b), Northern Territory - 2006 and 2011
|Local Government Area|
Median Rental Payment
|Rest of Northern Territory|
|(a) Applicable to occupied private dwellings which were being rented (or occupied rent-free) by a member of the household. Excludes 'Visitor only' and 'Other non-classifiable' households.|
|(b) LGAs with a total occupied private dwelling count under 500 dwellings in 2011 are excluded from this table.|
|Source: ABS Census of Population and Housing, 2006 and 2011|