CONTACT WEB SITE
NCVER is responsible for the collection of national vocational education and training statistics and for managing employer, student and graduate surveys relating to vocational education and training outcomes and performance. The Vocational Education and Training (VET) Collection makes up the vast majority of the data collected under the Australian Vocational Education and Training Management Information Statistical Standard (AVETMISS). The collection is designed to gather standard information on all vocational training activity delivered by all providers.
NCVER conducts two major surveys of the Australian vocational education and training sector. The Student Outcomes Survey and the Survey of Employer Views.
NCVER publishes regular statistical data on trainees, apprenticeships and TAFE graduates.
The following publications are available in a range of formats (web; pdf; print).
- Quarterly reports on apprentice and trainee statistics, including 5 years of time series information. These reports provide information on the numbers in-training, commencements and completions, the structure of Australian apprenticeships and the occupational characteristics, as well as basic profiles of apprentices and trainees.
- Annual Reports reports provide statistical information about apprenticeship and traineeship activity in Australia and each State and Territory for the period.
- Programs providers and students. The data collected comprises information about VET programs and providers, including level and field of education, student characteristics, and level of activity. The collection also includes financial data for the VET sector.
- Australian Vocational Education and Training Statistics: In detail, An annual report of publicly funded VET sector activity for Australia as well as each State and Territory.
- Australian Vocational Education and Training Statistics : At a glance, A synopsis of the annual statistics for Australia and each State and Territory.
- Australian Vocational Education and Training statistics: Financial data How VET in Australia is financed and where the money is spent.
Highest school level completed
Year highest school completed
Age and Sex
Country of birth
Prior educational achievement
Type of study (full or part time)
Accreditation status (not available prior to 1999)
Stream of study
Field of study
Australian Standard Classification of Occupations (ASCO)
Revenue from Government
Student Outcomes Survey: Prior to 1999 this survey was known as the Graduate Destination Survey.
Survey of Employer Views: Prior to 1999 this survey was known as the Employer Satisfaction Survey and only surveyed employers with recent VET graduate employees.
For information on the Knowledge-based Economy and Society see Discussion Paper Measuring a Knowledge-based Economy and Society.