|Page tools: Print Page Print All|
SECTION ONE: COUNTS OF AUSTRALIAN BUSINESS OPERATORS BY SELECTED CHARACTERISTICS, 2012
PROPORTION OF BUSINESS OPERATORS, BY INDUSTRY - 2012
The largest occupation group for business operators was 'Managers' (25.3%). This was followed by 'Technicians and Trades Workers' (21.0%), 'Professionals' (20.3%) and 'Clerical and Administrative Workers' (10.2%).
The highest percentage of 'Male business operators' were 'Technicians and Trades Workers' (27.0%), followed by 'Managers' (26.5%), 'Professionals' (20.2%) and 'Labourers' (9.6%). 'Female business operators' were mostly found in the 'Clerical and Administrative Workers' (25.3%), 'Managers' (22.7%), 'Professionals' (20.5%) and 'Community and Personal Service Workers' (9.6%) categories.
PROPORTION OF BUSINESS OPERATORS, BY SEX AND OCCUPATION - 2012
HOURS USUALLY WORKED IN BUSINESS
The majority of business operators indicated that they were full-time (66.6%) compared to the (33.4%) that were part-time. In addition, 32.2% (648,900) of business operators indicated they worked '49 or more' hours, followed by 16.9% (340,000) working '40' hours and 10.5% (212,100) working '1-14' hours.
CONTRACT WORK STATUS
As at November 2012, 1,036,900 (51.4%) business operators identified themselves as 'Other business operators' whilst the remaining 979,900 (48.6%) identified as 'Independent contractors'.
A total of 1,296,100 business operators said they 'Did not have employees' (64.3%) whilst 720,700 said they 'Had employees' (35.7%). These percentages were consistent when disaggregated by sex.
EXPECTED DURATION IN BUSINESS
The large majority of business operators (1,908,300) (94.6%) indicated that they 'Expected to be with business in 12 months'.
REASONS FOR EXPECTED DURATION IN BUSINESS LESS THAN 12 MONTHS
The most popular reason for an expected duration of less than 12 months as a business operator was 'Changing jobs/seeking other employment' (38.1%). This was followed by 'Retiring' (23.6%) and 'Employer/business closing down/downsizing' (15.2%). This trend was consistent across both male and female business operators.
The greatest percentage of business operators were aged in the in the '45-54' years age bracket (27.7%). This was followed by the '35-44' (24.7%), '25-34' (14.9%), '55-59' (11.8%), '60-64' (9.7%), '65 and over' (7.8%) and '20-24' (2.8%) age brackets.
PROPORTION OF BUSINESS OPERATORS, BY AGE - 2012
STATE OR TERRITORY OF USUAL RESIDENCE
The state with the highest number of business operators was 'New South Wales' (644,400) (32.0%). This was followed by 'Victoria' (535,700) (26.6%), 'Queensland' (411,900) (20.4%), 'Western Australia' (211,400) (10.5%), 'South Australia' (136,600) (6.8%), 'Tasmania' (40,400) (2.0%), the 'Australian Capital Territory' (21,100) (1.0%) and the 'Northern Territory' (15,200) (0.8%).
PROPORTION OF BUSINESS OPERATORS, BY STATE OR TERRITORY OF USUAL RESIDENCE - 2012
RELATIONSHIP IN HOUSEHOLD
In 2012, most business operators identified themselves as being part of a family (87.4%).
Over three quarters of business operators identified themselves as a 'Husband, wife or partner' (78.9%) and of these people, 42.1% identified that they were 'With dependants'.