UNIT GROUP 4987 CHEMICAL, PETROLEUM AND GAS PLANT OPERATORS
CHEMICAL, PETROLEUM AND GAS PLANT OPERATORS control the operation of chemical production equipment, or pump oil and gas from wellheads and refine and process petroleum products.
The entry requirement for this unit group is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- controlling equipment performing continuous or batch processes to process chemicals, natural gas, manufacture refined petroleum products or blend petroleum base stocks to produce commercial fuels, lubricating oils and asphalt
- controlling the preparation, measuring and feeding of raw material and processing agents such as catalysts and filtering media into plant
- patrolling and inspecting equipment to ensure proper operation and setting operating controls on equipment
- analysing samples and readings and recording test data
- controlling records of production, quantities transferred and details of blending and pumping operations
- checking equipment for malfunctions and arranging maintenance