UNIT GROUP 1314 AQUACULTURE FARMERS
AQUACULTURE FARMERS plan, direct, coordinate and perform farming operations to breed and raise fish and other aquatic stock.
The entry requirement for this unit group is a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- planning and managing the operation of hatcheries to produce fish fry, seed oysters, crayfish, marron and prawns taking into account environmental and market factors
- monitoring and maintaining water quality to maintain health standards and optimal growing conditions
- identifying and controlling environmental toxins and diseases
- monitoring stock growth rates to determine when to harvest
- directing and overseeing the harvesting, grading and packaging of fish, oysters and other aquatic stock
- managing business capital, maintaining and evaluating records of farming activities, monitoring market activity and planning production accordingly