Slaughters livestock and eviscerates carcasses.
The entry requirement for this occupation is completion of compulsory secondary education or higher qualification.
- stuns and shackles livestock using mechanical or electric stunning devices
- severs jugular veins of stunned, suspended or shackled animals with sticking knives
- slits open abdominal cavities of carcasses
- removes intestines and ties intestines and bladders
- trims fat for further processing
- separates organs or glands such as sweetbreads, livers, hearts and spleens from carcasses
- removes beef stomachs for tripe processing
- cuts and ties gullets and windpipes and opens, separates, trims and washes lungs in cold water troughs
- cuts off bruises, blemishes and ragged tissues to improve appearance and preserve carcasses
Stunner and Shackler (Abattoir)