Shapes bars, rods and blocks of metal by heating and hammering to produce or repair metal articles.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification.
- studies drawings or specifications to determine job requirements
- selects metal stock and heats it in forges
- observes the colour and temperature of metal in furnaces and removes and positions metal on anvils or other working surfaces
- hammers, punches or cuts metal to size and shape using hand tools or presses
- verifies the dimensions of forging visually and using measuring instruments
- forge-welds parts together by heating, applying flux and hammering
- anneals, tempers and hardens finished articles by heating and quenching in oil or water bath, or cooling gradually in air
- directs other workers to hold tools and assist in lifting and holding workpieces during hammering
- may make and repair agricultural or mining and quarrying machinery
- may forge cold metal