Provides care and advice during pregnancy, labour and birth and provides postnatal care for women and babies.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. Registration or licensing is required.
- provides advice and support to women during pre-conception, antenatal and postnatal periods
- provides care and management of pregnancy and birth
- assesses progress and recognises warning signs of abnormal or potentially abnormal pregnancies requiring referral to a medical practitioner
- monitors the condition of the woman and foetus during pregnancy and throughout labour
- conducts health education classes and seminars to promote the health of mothers and infants
- provides advice on nutrition, child care and family planning
- provides advice and support to women regarding parenting skills and care and feeding of babies
- provides supervision to students of midwifery, and nursing and other health care professionals
- coordinates the care given by other health care workers involved with maternity care