UNIT GROUP 1111 LEGISLATORS AND GOVERNMENT APPOINTED OFFICIALS
LEGISLATORS AND GOVERNMENT APPOINTED OFFICIALS represent the people, the nation or the Crown in elected bodies, courts of law and overseas diplomatic missions. They interpret, analyse, administer and review the law and public policy and promote the interest of the constituencies they represent.
The entry requirement for this unit group is election by a constituency or appointment by the Government or Crown. A bachelor degree or higher qualification and at least 5 years relevant experience is required for appointments.
- assisting in the development of Commonwealth Government, State/Territory and local government policy and in formulating, amending and repealing legislation
- investigating matters of concern to the public and electorate and introducing proposals for remedial government action
- issuing policy directions to government departments and exercising control over municipal authorities or diplomatic missions overseas
- presiding over judicial proceedings and pronouncing judgements in courts of law
- acting individually or as members of administrative or industrial tribunals to resolve disputes