Studies the chemical and physical properties of substances and develops and monitors chemical processes and production.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- conducts experiments and tests to identify the chemical composition and reactive properties of natural substances or processed materials
- develops procedures, instruments, recording and testing systems to be used in experiments
- analyses or conducts research to develop theories, techniques and processes, and tests the reliability of these under various conditions
- develops practical applications of experimental and research findings
- develops and monitors quality control procedures for the manufacture of products in plants or factories
- prepares or supervises the preparation of laboratory reports, scientific papers and reports on specifications and standards
- may supervise and coordinate the work of technicians
- may test products or materials to ensure compliance with government health laws, and standards of quality and purity
- may use micro-organisms to convert substances into new compounds