7211-11 Sewing Machinist
Operates a range of industrial sewing machines to sew and finish garments, curtains and soft furnishings.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate II or higher qualification or at least 1 years relevant experience.
- threads machines, inserts bobbins and positions parts to be sewn
- starts, stops and controls speed of machines with pedals or knee levers to coordinate actions of presser feet, clothes guides, blades and other attachments and guides parts under needles, following edges, seams or markings
- changes needles and adjusts or secures modifying attachments to machines
- cuts excess material and threads from items
- operates thread trimming or other non-sewing machines
- inspects stitching for defects and notifies repair mechanics of machine malfunctions
- performs basic maintenance, such as lubrication, of machines
- may do laying up and bundling tasks
- may ticket, label and finish work