2535-13 Book Editor
Evaluates manuscripts of books to determine suitability for publication and supervises final manuscript preparation.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience. This occupation requires high levels of creative talent or personal commitment and interest as well as, or in place of, formal qualifications or experience.
- reviews and evaluates manuscripts of novels, biographies, short stories, poems, educational texts and other books
- advises publishers about potential of material for publication and conditions of publication contracts
- suggests changes to manuscripts
- negotiates with authors regarding details of publications such as royalties, publication dates and numbers of copies to be printed
- organises and coordinates publishing projects to completion
- briefs and manages authors, illustrators and designers
- may develop and maintain agreed budgets