UNIT GROUP 2311 GENERALIST MEDICAL PRACTITIONERS
GENERALIST MEDICAL PRACTITIONERS diagnose and treat physical and mental illnesses, disorders and injuries, recommend preventive action and refer patients to specialist medical practitioners.
The entry requirement for this unit group is a bachelor degree or higher qualification and one years hospital-based training.
- examining patients and ordering laboratory tests, X-rays and other diagnostic procedures
- prescribing and administering drugs and other remedial treatments
- inoculating patients against communicable diseases
- advising on diet, exercise and other habits which aid prevention or treatment of disease and disorders
- providing pre-natal and post-natal care
- referring patients to, and exchanging medical information with, specialists
- reporting births, deaths and notifiable diseases to government authorities