When preparing your application, it is recommended that you:
- download and carefully read the Advice to Applicants or the Applicant Information Kit for the position, focusing on the key responsibilities and selection criteria for the position of interest;
- conduct some initial research on the agency by browsing the website and reading key resources such as the Annual Report and Corporate Plan;
- take the opportunity to speak to the Contact Officer to seek clarification or additional information on the agency and/or the position;
- decide whether the ABS is the type of place you would like to work and whether you possess the skills, experience, knowledge and ability required; and
- be aware of the closing date and how to lodge your application (see below). If, for any reason, you have difficulty submitting your application, please phone the Contact Officer.
Applying for vacancies using e-Recruitment
Our on-line recruitment system will ask you to include:
- citizenship status;
- personal and contact details;
- equity and diversity details (optional);
- a summary of your employment details;
- a summary of your education/trade qualifications;
- statements against the selection criteria (unless otherwise stated in the vacancy notice), which describe how your skills, experience and qualifications enable you to meet them. Please give sufficient details to enable the Selection Committee to make an informed assessment of your claims (please note that there are word limits). For assistance, see our addressing selection criteria page;
- a referee report (where requested), or the names of at least two referees who can comment on your work performance and assess your abilities in terms of the selection criteria; and
- a recent resume, outlining your relevant work experience, educational background and achievements.
Lodging Your Application
Applications should be lodged by the specified closing date. The ABS prefers on-line applications.
If you have any queries about using the ABS eRecruitment system, please contact Recruitment on 1800 249 583. Should you have any queries regarding progress of your application or you decide not to proceed with your application, please phone the Contact Officer listed in the vacancy notice.
Applicant User Guide
If applicants experience any difficulties with the eRecruitment system, we encourage them to use the eRecruitment User Guide.