Applications for the 2017 ABS Graduate Development Program are not currently open however........................
Applications for the 2017 ABS Graduate Development Program will be advertised in later in the year.
It is an exciting time to be at the ABS. We are getting ready to count 10 million dwellings and over 24 million people in Australia on Census night, 9 August 2016.
New technology makes it possible for the ABS to gather data in new ways, and provide new insights into matters of importance to Australians. So we’re undergoing an internal and external transformation to gear us up to maximise our 21st century contribution to Australia. Everything’s on the table for fine-tuning; the Census, partnerships, systems, work culture, and even the graduate program.
Hold tight while we’re in the changing room; we’re excited to show your our new look soon. It’ll feature new roles, new ways of working, and new possibilities that you can only get at the ABS.
..................To make sure you don't miss out on an opportunity to apply please register your interest by completing
The Graduate Development Program
The ABS Graduate Development Program (GDP) provides you with training to help you quickly build your capability to become effective in the ABS environment. Your program will involve structured formal training and development activities that are designed to:
• assist you to transition into the ABS and the Australian Public Service
• improve your communication skills
• gain experience with the statistical cycle
• improve your understanding and gain experience in project management
• better understand your strengths and preferences in the context of your work
• develop your soft skills to effectively contribute to the strategic direction of the ABS
In addition to the Graduate Development Program, you will:
• be provided with training specific to your subject matter area as determined with your Supervisor
• undertake work rotations if you are placed in an area where this is possible
• be offered access to a variety of networking opportunities
To hear more about the program from our past graduates, take a look at our Graduate Profile page.
Your career path beyond the GDP is through merit based recruitment processes or opportunities to work Higher Duties.
ABS generalist graduates commence at the APS 3 level and advance to the APS 4 level upon successful completion of the Graduate Development program. Information and Communications Technology (ICT) graduates commence at the APS 4 level and advance to the top of this classification upon successful completion of the Graduate Development Program.
Following advancement, your career progression is through merit based recruitment processes or opportunities to work Higher Duties