5609.0 - Housing Finance, Australia, August 2018 Quality Declaration 
Latest ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 12/10/2018   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product

SUMMARY OF FINDINGS


DWELLINGS FINANCED

Value of Dwellings Financed

The total value of dwelling commitments excluding alterations and additions (trend) fell 0.6% in August 2018 compared with July 2018 and the seasonally adjusted series fell 2.1% in August 2018.

The total value of owner occupied housing commitments (trend) fell (down $51m, 0.2%) in August 2018. Falls were recorded in commitments for the purchase of established dwellings (down $48m, 0.3%) and commitments for the purchase of new dwellings (down $21m, 1.8%) while a rise was recorded in commitments for the construction of dwellings (up $18m, 0.9%). The seasonally adjusted series for the total value of owner occupied housing commitments fell 2.7% in August 2018.

The total value of investment housing commitments (trend) fell (down $121m, 1.2%) in August 2018 compared with July 2018. Falls were recorded in commitments for the purchase of dwellings by individuals for rent or resale (down $86m, 1.0%), commitments for the construction of dwellings for rent or resale (down $25m, 2.4%) and commitments for the purchase of dwellings by others for rent or resale (down $10m, 1.3%). The seasonally adjusted series for the total value of investment housing commitments fell 1.1% in August 2018.

Further detail can be found in Tables 11, 1 and 2 on the downloads tab of this release and in the PDF.

INVESTMENT HOUSING - TOTAL
Graph: INVESTMENT HOUSING - TOTAL



Number of Owner Occupied Dwellings Financed

The number of owner occupied housing commitments (trend) fell 0.4% in August 2018, following a fall of 0.5% in July 2018. Falls were recorded in commitments for the purchase of established dwellings (down 163, 0.4%) and commitments for the purchase of new dwellings (down 53, 1.9%), while a rise was recorded in commitments for the construction of dwellings (up 11, 0.2%). The seasonally adjusted series for the total number of owner occupied housing commitments fell 2.1% in August 2018.

Further detail can be found in Tables 1 and 2 on the downloads tab of this release and in the PDF.

Graph: Graph shows number of owner occupied dwellings financed


Number of Owner Occupied Dwellings Financed - State

Between July 2018 and August 2018, the number of owner occupied housing commitments (trend) fell in New South Wales (down 109, 0.7%), Western Australia (down 33, 0.7%), Queensland (down 10, 0.1%) and the Northern Territory (down 5, 1.8%), while rises were recorded in South Australia (up 13, 0.4%), Tasmania (up 5, 0.5%) and the Australian Capital Territory (up 2, 0.2%) with Victoria being flat.

The seasonally adjusted estimates fell in Queensland (down 489, 4.8%), Victoria (down 470, 3.0%), New South Wales (down 166, 1.0%), the Northern Territory (down 27, 10.6%), Tasmania (down 24, 2.2%) and Western Australia (down 13, 0.3%), while rises were recorded in South Australia (up 66, 1.9%) and the Australian Capital Territory (up 29, 2.7%).

Further detail can be found in Tables 5 and 6 on the downloads tab of this release and in the PDF.


First Home Buyer Commitments

In original terms, the number of first home buyer commitments as a percentage of total owner occupied housing finance commitments fell to 17.8% in August 2018 from 18.0% in July 2018. Between July 2018 and August 2018, the average loan size for first home buyers fell $1,000 to $345,000. The average loan size for all owner occupied housing commitments fell $300 to $395,800 for the same period.

Further detail can be found in Table 9a on the downloads tab of this release and in Table 9 of the PDF.


Number of Owner Occupied Dwellings Financed Excluding Refinancing

The number of owner occupied housing commitments excluding refinancing (trend) fell 0.7% in August 2018, following a fall of 0.8% in July 2018. The seasonally adjusted series fell 2.9% in August 2018, following a fall of 1.6% in July 2018.

Further detail can be found in Tables 1 and 2 on the downloads tab of this release and in the PDF.

Graph: Graph shows number of owner occupied dwellings financed, excluding refinancing


PURPOSE OF FINANCE (OWNER OCCUPATION)

Construction of dwellings

The number of finance commitments for the construction of dwellings for owner occupation (trend) rose 0.2% in August 2018, after a fall of 0.2% in July 2018. The seasonally adjusted series fell 6.2% in August 2018, after a rise of 0.5% in July 2018.

Further detail can be found in Tables 1 and 2 on the downloads tab of this release and in the PDF.

Graph: Graph shows commitments for construction of dwellings for owner occupation


Purchase of new dwellings

The number of finance commitments for the purchase of new dwellings for owner occupation (trend) fell 1.9% in August 2018, following a fall of 2.0% in July 2018. The seasonally adjusted series rose 0.3% in August 2018, after a fall of 2.3% in July 2018.

Further detail can be found in Tables 1 and 2 on the downloads tab of this release and in the PDF.

Graph: Graph shows commitments for the purchase of new dwellings for owner occupation


Purchase of established dwellings (including refinancing across lending institutions)

The number of finance commitments for the purchase of established dwellings for owner occupation (trend) fell 0.4% in August 2018, following a fall of 0.4% in July 2018. The seasonally adjusted series fell 1.8% in August 2018, after a rise of 0.1% in July 2018.

Further detail can be found in Tables 1 and 2 on the downloads tab of this release and in the PDF.

Graph: Graph shows number of owner occupied established dwellings financed, including refinancing


Refinancing

The number of refinancing commitments for owner occupied housing (trend) rose 0.3% in August 2018, following a rise of 0.2% in July 2018. The seasonally adjusted series fell 0.6% in August 2018, after a rise of 3.4% in July 2018.

Further detail can be found in Tables 1 and 2 on the downloads tab of this release and in the PDF.

Graph: Graph shows number of owner occupied dwellings refinanced


TYPE OF LENDER (OWNER OCCUPATION)

Banks

The number of commitments for owner occupied dwellings financed by banks (trend) fell 0.5% in August 2018, following a fall of 0.6% in July 2018. The seasonally adjusted series fell 2.3% in August 2018, following a fall of 0.2% in July 2018.

Further detail can be found in Tables 3 and 4 on the downloads tab of this release and in the PDF.

Graph: Graph shows number of owner occupied dwellings financed by banks


Non-banks

The number of commitments for owner occupied dwellings financed by non-banks (trend) rose 0.8% in August 2018, following a rise of 0.9% in July 2018. The seasonally adjusted series fell 0.8% in August 2018, after a rise of 1.6% in July 2018.

Further detail can be found in Tables 3 and 4 on the downloads tab of this release and in the PDF.

Graph: Graph shows number of owner occupied dwellings financed by non-banks


HOUSING LOAN OUTSTANDINGS

At the end of August 2018, the value of outstanding housing loans financed by Authorised Deposit-taking Institutions (ADIs) was $1,687b, up $6b (0.3%) from the July 2018 closing balance. Owner occupied housing loan outstandings financed by ADIs rose $5b (0.5%) to $1,121b and investment housing loan outstandings financed by ADIs was flat at $566b.

Bank housing loan outstandings rose $5b (0.3%) during August 2018 to reach a closing balance of $1,649b. Owner occupied housing loan outstandings of banks rose $5b (0.5%) to $1,092b and investment housing loan outstandings of banks was flat at $557b.

Further detail can be found in Table 12 on the downloads tab of this release and in the PDF.