NAME OF COLLECTION
Buildings Research and Output Group
Australian Bureau of Statistics
GPO Box 2272
ADELAIDE SA 5001
Telephone: Adelaide (08) 8237 7668
Facsimile: Adelaide (08) 8237 7620
To provide information on the number of dwelling units and value of residential buildings approved and the value and class of non-residential buildings approved.
Data are collected for approvals of:
- new residential buildings;
- alterations and additions to residential buildings valued at $10,000 or more; and,
- all non-residential building jobs valued at $50,000 or more.
Statistics of building work approved are compiled from:
- Building work approved by local government authorities and licensed private building surveyors;
- Contracts let or day labour work authorised by Commonwealth, State, semi-government and local government authorities; and
- Major building activity in areas not subject to normal administrative approval, e.g. building on remote mine sites.
In relation to tourism, data are available on the value of hotels, etc., shops, and entertainment and recreational buildings approved in the private and public sector and by value size groups.
- Number of dwelling units and value of residential buildings approved:
- Number of building jobs and value of non-residential buildings appproved (e.g. hotels, offices, etc.) split by ownership (private/public sector) and value size groups;
- Seasonally adjusted , trend estimates and chain volume measures for the number of dwelling units and value of building approved; and
- Floor area data is available for residential and non-residential building approvals,
Australia, States and Territories and small area data
Frequency of data availability
Monthly, usually released within six weeks of the reference month.
Data are available from 1960.
Products and services available
Building Approvals Australia (cat. no. 8731.0)
New South Wales and Australian Capital Territory (cat. no. 8731.1)
Victoria (cat. no. 8731.2)
Queensland (cat. no. 8731.3)
South Australia (cat. no. 8731.4)
Western Australia (cat. no. 8731.5)
Tasmania (cat. no. 8731.6)
Northern Territory (cat. no. 8731.7)
Special data services are available on request.