Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate the ABS website
ABS Home > Statistics > By Release Date
ABS @ Facebook ABS @ Twitter ABS RSS ABS Email notification service
5518.0.55.001 - Government Finance Statistics, Education, Australia, 2006-07 Quality Declaration 
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 15/04/2008   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product

MAIN FEATURES

This release contains statistics on expenditure on education by the general government sector for the period 2001-02 to 2006-07. These data are presented on an accrual accounting basis and are taken from the system of Government Finance Statistics (GFS).

Government expenditure on education refers to expenditure on all levels of education, such as pre-school, primary, secondary, university, and technical and further education (TAFE), by the general government sector. It excludes expenditure on courses provided by non-educational institutions, such as the vocational training programs of private businesses.

The summary tables below present government operating expenses on education by level of government, by purpose (i.e. by type of education), and by economic transaction (i.e. by type of expenditure) for the period 2001-02 to 2006-07.

Expenditure on education by all levels of general government increased by $2,095 million (4.2%), from $49,788 million in 2005-06 to $51,883 million in 2006-07. Total expenditure on education by the Commonwealth Government reached $16,321 million, with expenditure by the state and local governments totalling $37,357.

Of the total expenditure on education, $28,653 million was spent on primary and secondary education and a further $19,152 million on tertiary education (universities and TAFE). Employee expenses of $28,368 million accounted for 54.7% of total educational expenses with the remaining 45.3% being on non-employee expenses ($12,234 million), depreciation ($2,114 million), and transfer expenses ($9,166 m).


GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION, BY LEVEL OF GOVERNMENT
2001-02
2002-03
2003-04
2004-05
2005-06
2006-07
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

Commonwealth Government
12 253
12 599
13 523
14 319
15 807
16 321
State and Local Governments
27 441
29 247
30 963
33 556
35 547
37 357
Multi-jurisdictional (a)
10 028
10 990
11 738
12 640
13 873
14 414
Less: Intra-sector transfers
11 654
12 066
12 949
13 800
15 439
16 209
All Levels of Government
38 068
40 769
43 276
46 714
49 788
51 883

(a) The multi-jurisdictional sector contains units where jurisdiction is shared between two or more governments, or the classification of a unit to a jurisdiction is otherwise unclear. For education the only type of units falling into this category are public universities.

GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION, BY PURPOSE, ALL LEVELS OF GOVERNMENT

2001-02
2002-03
2003-04
2004-05
2005-06
2006-07
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

Primary and secondary education
21 017
22 485
23 867
25 754
27 449
28 653
Tertiary education
14 235
15 118
16 005
17 089
18 479
19 152
Pre-school & education not definable by level
1 430
1 609
1 816
2 038
2 151
2 341
Transportation of students
815
868
900
1 074
1 062
1 029
Education n.e.c.
571
690
688
759
648
708
Total
38 068
40 769
43 276
46 714
49 788
51 883


GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION, BY ECONOMIC TRANSACTION, ALL LEVELS OF GOVERNMENT

2001-02
2002-03
2003-04
2004-05
2005-06
2006-07
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

Employee expenses
20 841
22 649
23 772
25 511
27 363
28 368
Non-employee expenses
9 072
9 558
10 248
10 951
11 441
12 234
Depreciation of fixed assets
1 669
1 818
1 859
1 966
2 019
2 114
Current transfer expenses
6 318
6 559
7 158
7 999
8 620
8 903
Capital transfer expenses
168
186
239
287
345
263
Total
38 068
40 769
43 276
46 714
49 788
51 883



For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070, email <client.services@abs.gov.au> or Glynis Orrell on Canberra (02) 6252 5735, email <public.finance@abs.gov.au>.



Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window

Commonwealth of Australia 2014

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.