MAY KEY FIGURES
Apr 08 to May 08
|Turnover at current prices |
|Trend estimates |
|Seasonally adjusted estimates |
MAY KEY POINTS
Trend estimates -
SEASONALLY ADJUSTED ESTIMATES
- The trend estimate of turnover for the Australian Retail and Hospitality/Services series increased by 0.1% in May 2008 when compared with April 2008. This follows revised increases of 0.1% in the previous two months.
- In May 2008 all industries, except Household good retailing (-0.2%) and Hospitality and services (-0.5%), had an increase in the trend estimate. Industries with the largest increase were Recreational good retailing, Other retailing (both +0.5%) and Clothing and soft good retailing (+0.3%).
- The seasonally adjusted estimate of turnover for the Australian Retail and Hospitality/Services series increased by 0.7% in May 2008. This follows a revised decrease of 0.1% in April 2008 and a revised increase of 0.3% in March 2008.
- Industries that had an increase in the seasonally adjusted estimate were Food retailing (+1.0%), Recreational good retailing (+2.2%), Other retailing (+3.1%) and Hospitality and services (+0.8%), while Department stores (-0.8%), Clothing and soft good retailing (-0.3%) and Household good retailing (-1.0%) decreased.
- In original terms, Australian turnover increased by 3.6% in May 2008 compared with April 2008. Chains and other large retailers (which are completely enumerated) increased by 3.6%, while the estimate for 'smaller' retailers (the sampled units) also increased by 3.6%.
- Australian turnover increased by 6.6% in May 2008 compared with May 2007. Chains and other large retailers increased by 9.0%, while 'smaller' retailers increased by 3.4%.
CHANGES IN THIS ISSUE
|ISSUE ||Release Date|
|June 2008 ||31 July 2008|
|July 2008 ||2 September 2008|
|August 2008 ||30 September 2008|
|September 2008 ||3 November 2008|
|October 2008 ||2 December 2008|
|November 2008 ||7 January 2009|
There are no changes in this issue.
Standard errors for the Australian estimates (original data) for May 2008 contained in this publication are:
|Data Series |
|Level of retail turnover ($m) |
|Change from preceding month ($m) |
|% change from preceding month (%) |
For more information see the Explanatory Notes, paragraphs 32-36.
For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070 or Rod Cowie on Canberra (02) 6252 6720.