Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate the ABS website
ABS Home > Statistics > By Release Date
ABS @ Facebook ABS @ Twitter ABS RSS ABS Email notification service
3301.0 - Births, Australia, 2009 Quality Declaration 
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 03/11/2010   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product  
Contents >> Summary of findings >> Nuptial and ex-nuptial births

NUPTIAL AND EX-NUPTIAL BIRTHS

In 2009, 65% of births were nuptial births; that is, births to parents who were married at the time of the birth (marriage in this publication refers to a registered marriage unless otherwise indicated). Ex-nuptial births accounted for the remaining 35% of births, although many of these births may have been to mothers in de facto relationships. The proportion of ex-nuptial births has been increasing since the 1950s, and has risen strongly over the past three decades.

2.5 Ex-nuptial births, Proportion of all births, Australia - 1909 to 2009
Graph: 2.5 Ex-nuptial births, Proportion of all births, Australia—1909 to 2009



Acknowledgment of paternity

When a birth is ex-nuptial, there is a possibility that the father may not acknowledge the birth (that is, the father has not signed the birth registration statement). While the number of ex-nuptial births has increased greatly over the past twenty years, the proportion of births for which paternity was not acknowledged has decreased. In 1989, paternity was not acknowledged for around 24% of all ex-nuptial births, however by 2009 this proportion had decreased to 10%. Births where paternity is not acknowledged have decreased from 5% of all births in 1989 to 3% in 2009.





Previous PageNext Page

Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window


Commonwealth of Australia 2014

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.