INCOME AND EARNINGS
The income and earnings data items provide details on the amount of money someone earns in their main job and their personal gross weekly income. Details are also provided on their principal source of income.
Information on income and earnings is not collected in the monthly Labour Force Survey (LFS) and is derived from the following supplementary surveys:
- Employee Earnings, Benefits and Trade Union Membership, Australia (EEBTUM, cat. no. 6310.0)
- Every August from the employees in seven-eighths of the LFS sample.
- Relates to the money earned in their main job as an employee only, and does not include any other sources of income or earnings.
- See Weekly earnings in main job [WINCMJCE].
- Multipurpose Household Survey, Australia (MPHS, cat. no. 4100.0)
- Every month from a selected person per household in the out-going group of the LFS (the one-eighth of the LFS sample that has been in the survey for the full 8 months)
- Information obtained in the MPHS is always collected via a personal interview, and so does not relate to the data item Respondent detail [RESPTYPC], which only relates to the data items collected in the LFS and other supplementary surveys.
- Relates to all income from all sources.
- See Current weekly gross personal income from all sources [WINCALCE].
These two sources of data provide distinctly different measurements of income or earnings, and are never collected from the same person in the same month. They may be collected from the same person in different months for a small number of people in the sample.