Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate the ABS website
ABS Home > Statistics > By Catalogue Number
ABS @ Facebook ABS @ Twitter ABS RSS ABS Email notification service
8570.0 - Health Care Services, 2009-10 Quality Declaration 
Latest ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 05/07/2011  First Issue
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product  
Contents >> Other health services >> Physiotherapy Services

PHYSIOTHERAPY SERVICES

At the end of June 2010, there were 3,927 physiotherapy businesses operating in Australia. These businesses:

  • operated from 5,391 locations servicing a population of 22.3 million people at the end of June 2010;
  • employed or contracted 11,589 registered health practitioners and other staff providing health care;
  • generated income of $1.2b during the 2009-10 financial year;
  • incurred expenses of $939.9m in the same period;
  • generated operating profit before tax of $224.3m; and
  • generated industry value added of $753m.


Persons working

There were 17,951 persons engaged in the physiotherapy industry at the end of June 2010. Of this number 11,589 or 64.6% were registered health practitioners and other staff providing health care.

Of those providing direct health care services, 9,743 persons were employed by businesses and 1,847 persons (15.9%) were working on contract. Working proprietors and partners accounted for 2,396 or 24.6% of persons employed by businesses (indicating that just under a quarter of the industry consisted of businesses owned by solo practitioners or practitioners in partnership), while the remaining 7,347 or 75.4% were employees. Of all employees, 59.4% were permanent full-time, 20.4% were permanent part-time and the remaining 20.2% were casual/temporary.

There were 6,362 other staff engaged in the physiotherapy industry representing 35.4% of total employed and contracted persons.


Income and expenses

Fee for service income of $980.9m accounted for 84.4% of the total income of $1.2b generated by physiotherapy businesses during the 2009-10 financial year.

Physiotherapy businesses operating on 30 June 2010, generated an average income of $296,000 per business. Fee for service income earned per practitioner was $84,600.

Wages and salaries of $452.1m accounted for just under half of total industry expenditure of $939.9m during 2009-10.


Profitability

Operating profit before tax for physiotherapy businesses during the 2009-10 financial year was $224.3m, representing an operating profit margin of 19.8% .





Previous PageNext Page

Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window


Commonwealth of Australia 2014

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.