UNIT GROUP 3512 BUTCHERS AND SMALLGOODS MAKERS
BUTCHERS AND SMALLGOODS MAKERS select, cut, trim, prepare and arrange meat for sale and supply, operate meat and smallgoods processing machines, and manage the processes in the production of smallgoods.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
In New Zealand:
NZ Register Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- preparing meat for sale by removing bones, trimming fat and cutting, mincing and grinding meat to shape and size for display or as ordered
- preparing crumbed cuts of meat, and marinating, seasoning and curing special cuts
- selecting and preparing meat to produce smallgoods
- operating machines to grind, mix, mince and tenderise meat
- making seasonings and pickles by mixing spices, salt and other ingredients
- operating sausage filling machines, smoking chambers, and cooking kettles and vats
- advising customers on the suitability and uses of cuts of meat
- may assist in menu planning and scheduling, and in estimating food production costs
351211 Butcher or Smallgoods Maker
351211 BUTCHER OR SMALLGOODS MAKER
Selects, cuts, trims, prepares and arranges meat for sale or supply, operates meat or smallgoods processing machines, or manages the processes in the production of smallgoods.
Skill Level: 3