This publication presents statistics on children enrolled in and attending a preschool program across Australia in 2018. It will be released in the following two stages:
- Four summary tables plus one appendix table, with brief Key Findings and Explanatory Notes – released on 13 February 2019.
- Thirty two tables, with expanded Key Findings and Explanatory Notes appendices including jurisdictional Data Quality Statements – scheduled for release mid-March 2019.
The key findings in the first release are:
- Preschool Enrolments: In 2018, there were 342,479 children aged 4 or 5 years old enrolled in a preschool program in Australia. Of these, 18,253 were Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children.
- Remoteness Areas: There were 6,939 children aged 4 or 5 years enrolled in Remote/Very Remote areas of Australia. Almost 40% (2,743) of this group were Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children.
- Socio-Economic Indexes for Areas: Of the children enrolled in a preschool program in Australia, 21% resided in the fifth SEIFA quintile (least disadvantaged), and 18% resided in the first quintile (most disadvantaged).