MARCH KEY FIGURES
TAKE CARE! Revised data have been introduced. See NOTES section below.
Population at end Mar qtr 2007
Change over previous year
Change over previous year
|PRELIMINARY DATA |
|New South Wales |
|South Australia |
|Western Australia |
|Northern Territory |
|Australian Capital Territory |
|(a) Includes Other Territories comprising Jervis Bay Territory, Christmas Island and the Cocos (Keeling) Islands. |
Population Growth Rate,
Year ended current quarter
MARCH KEY POINTS
ESTIMATED RESIDENT POPULATION
- The preliminary estimated resident population (ERP) of Australia at 31 March 2007 was 20,948,900 persons. This was an increase of 307,100 persons since 31 March 2006 and 96,600 persons since 31 December 2006.
- The preliminary natural increase recorded for the year ended 31 March 2007 (138,100) was 5.5% higher than the natural increase recorded for the year ended 31 March 2006 (130,800).
- Preliminary net overseas migration for the year ended 31 March 2007 was 162,600 persons, an increase of 13.6% on the year ended 31 March 2006 (143,200 persons).
POPULATION GROWTH RATES
- The Australian population grew by 1.5% during the 12 months ended 31 March 2007. Natural increase and net overseas migration contributed 46% and 54% respectively to this total population growth.
- All states and territories experienced positive population growth over the 12 months ended 31 March 2007. Queensland recorded the largest percentage gain (2.3%) and Tasmania the smallest (0.6%).
|ISSUE (QUARTER) ||Release Date|
|June 2007 ||4 December 2007|
|September 2007 ||19 March 2008|
|December 2007 ||5 June 2008|
|March 2008 ||24 September 2008|
|June 2008 ||2 December 2008|
|September 2008 ||18 March 2009|
ERP DATA STATUS AND CHANGES IN THIS ISSUE
The majority of population data for September quarter 2001 onwards in this publication are based on the 2006 Census. This publication contains final, revised and preliminary data. For the current status refer to the table Status of Quarterly ERP Data
at paragraph 7 of the Explanatory Notes.
Component revisions and rebasing
Scheduled annual revisions for September quarter 2005 to June quarter 2006 include:
- Natural increase using date of occurrence births and deaths data
- Net overseas migration using the migration adjustment based on actual traveller behaviour and is the final in the series using the '12/12 month rule'.
Net interstate migration has been revised from September quarter 2001 to June quarter 2006 using information from the 2006 Census of Population and Housing
on one-year ago and five-years ago interstate movements.
All 'preliminary rebased' intercensal quarterly population estimates from September quarter 2001 to March quarter 2006 have been adjusted. This was due to component revisions and updating of the original series of 2001 Census based population estimates.
Preliminary Indigenous population estimates
Preliminary Indigenous and Non-Indigenous estimates as at 30 June 2006 in Tables 11 and 12 are new.
Births and deaths adjustments
Adjustments applied to December quarter 2006 births and deaths registrations in the previous issue have been updated into their correct quarters. For details see paragraphs 11-12 of the Explanatory Notes.
The number of birth registrations in Queensland for the March quarter 2007 is abnormally high. This is mainly due to the resolution of a lag in processing birth registrations by the Queensland Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.
Preliminary rebased ERP for sub state/territory levels is being released in two stages in Regional Population Growth, Australia 1996 to 2006 (cat. no. 3218.0). ERP at 30 June 2006 was released on 24 July 2007; ERP from June 2002 to June 2005 will be released on 2 October 2007 in accompanying spreadsheets.
For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070 or Georgia Mitchell on Canberra (02) 6252 5640.