NATIONAL CENTRE FOR VOCATIONAL EDUCATION RESEARCH (NCVER)
NAME OF COLLECTION
Student Outcomes Survey
The Student Outcomes Survey provides information about vocational education and training (VET) students in Australia who completed their VET during the previous year. The focus of the Student Outcomes Survey is students’ outcomes and their satisfaction with vocational education and training.
The Student Outcomes Survey has been conducted annually since 1999. Prior surveys, conducted in 1995, 1997 and 1998, only included graduates.
The sample size is derived to allow reporting at the state and institute level in 2009 and at the state level in 2010. State and institute reporting is carried out every alternate year.
The survey covers students who have an Australian address as their usual address and were awarded a qualification (graduates) or who successfully completed part of a course and then left the VET system (module completers). Students who undertook recreational, leisure or personal enrichment (short) courses are excluded.
From 2005, the Student Outcomes Survey reports on outcomes covering all students in scope of the VET Provider Collection (not just TAFE). This includes students funded by the Commonwealth and states (TAFE, private and community education providers) as well as those training on a fee-for-service basis (TAFE and community education providers). Prior to 2005 the survey reported on outcomes covering students from TAFE (government funded only).
- Country of birth
- Main language spoken at home
- Parents speak a language other than English (available prior to 2002)
- Proficiency in spoken English (available from 2002 onwards)
The Student Outcomes Survey collects a range of data items about students, their training and outcomes. The main variables include:
- Student characteristics (e.g. age, sex, Indigenous status, disability status, region, prior education and highest school level completed)
- Training characteristics (e.g. qualification level, field of education)
- Employment outcomes (e.g. labour force status before and after, employed in first full-time job)
- Further study (e.g. enrolled in further study, type of institute for further study)
- Satisfaction with the training
- Whether achieved main reason for undertaking the training
- How relevant the training was to current job
- Module completers are asked reasons for not continuing to study
- Standard Australian Classification of Countries
- Australian Standard Classification of Languages
- Standards for Statistics on Cultural and Language Diversity
The Student Outcomes Survey covers all Australian states and territories.
AVAILABILITY OF DATA AND PUBLICATIONS
Statistical summary reports and tables using data from the Student Outcomes Survey are available in December each year. The reports can be downloaded free of charge from the National Centre for Vocational Education Research
Other research and statistical summary reports on vocational education and training are also available on the NCVER website.
More detailed statistical information or further information about the Student Outcomes Survey can be requested. A charge will be generally made by the NCVER for more complex requests. Details of fees and charges are available on the NCVER website.
National Centre for Vocational Education Research (NCVER)
Ph: (08) 8230 8400
This page last updated 28 March 2011