The ABS has an established program of demographic statistics about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. This Information Paper outlines the program and includes information on:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander population estimates (at 30 June in Census year);
- components of population change: fertility, mortality and migration;
- the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander deaths identification rate in death registration data;
- life tables and life expectancy estimates for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians;
- backcast population estimates and population projections;
- regular provision of data to government agencies as part of national reporting requirements (such as to the Productivity Commission on behalf of the Steering Committee on the Report on Government Services);
- ongoing stakeholder engagement; and
- products and release schedule.
The ABS is currently undertaking a program of work based on results of the 2011 Census of Population and Housing and the 2011 Census Post Enumeration Survey to compile and release:
- estimates of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander population as at 30 June 2011;
- life tables for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander population (2010-2012); and
- backcast estimates (2001-2010) and population projections (2012-2026) for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander population.
These products are interrelated. The population estimates are used in production of life tables, which, in turn, are used in the production of population projections and backcast estimates.