Customised Data Requests
There have been a number of changes in the administration of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander affairs within the Australian Government in recent decades. These include changes to the portfolio administration of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander affairs, adoption of a 'whole of government' approach to design and delivery of services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and communities, and the emergence of stronger COAG processes for monitoring Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander disadvantage and informing progress and reviews. Due to these changes, there is now unprecedented demand for high quality, more frequent, detailed and up-to-date Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander population estimates, projections and mortality estimates (including child mortality and life expectancy at birth estimates).
As a result of this demand, the ABS provides demographic data and advice for the following initiatives:
- COAG National Indigenous Reform Agreement;
- COAG National Healthcare Agreement;
- COAG Review of Government Services;
- COAG Overcoming Indigenous Disadvantage; and
- The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Performance Framework, developed under the auspice of the Australian Health Ministers' Advisory council to provide the basis for measuring the impact of the National Strategic Framework for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health.
This page last updated 27 April 2012