Australian Bureau of Statistics
4390.0 - Private Hospitals, Australia, 2010-11 Quality Declaration
Latest ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 07/09/2012
|Page tools: Print Page Print All RSS Search this Product|
Of Australia's 279 private Acute and psychiatric hospitals, 209 (74.9%) are located in a metropolitan area, and 183 (65.6%) are located within a Capital City Statistical Division.
There were 25,394 beds and chairs available in Acute and psychiatric hospitals during 2010-11, 1.9% higher than in 2009-10.
Capital City Statistical Divisions accounted for 74.7% of all available beds and chairs in Acute and psychiatric hospitals in Australia in 2010-11, slightly higher than in 2009-10 (74.5%) and up from 72.9% in 2000-01. Since the 2009-10 cycle, there has been an increase in the number of beds and chairs available in Capital City Statistical Divisions by 403 (2.2%), while the number of beds and chairs in the rest of Australia increased by 65 (1.0%). Since 2000-01, the number of beds and chairs in Capital City Statistical Divisions has increased by 6.3%, while the number in the rest of Australia has fallen by 3.0%, resulting in a net change of 3.8% across Australia.
Metropolitan areas contained 84.9% of all available beds and chairs in Acute and psychiatric hospitals, with Rural areas containing the remaining 15.1% of the beds and chairs in Australia in 2010-11.
In 2010-11, 1.6 million separations (57.8% of all Acute and psychiatric hospital separations) were for same day patients, with the remaining separations (almost 1.2 million) relating to overnight-stay patients. The proportion of all separations from Acute and psychiatric hospitals resulting from same-day patients has been increasing over the past 10 years, from 48.8% in 2000-01, to 57.2% in 2009-10, to 57.8% in 2010-11.
The average length of stay for overnight-stay patients increased to 5.3 days in 2010-11 from 5.1 days in 2009-10, while the average length of stay for all patients remained at 2.8 days. In 2000-01, overnight-stay patients stayed an average of 5.6 days, while the average length of stay for all patients was 3.3 days.
The bed occupancy rates in Acute and psychiatric hospitals have been increasing over the past 10 years. For 2010-11, the bed occupancy rate was 85.9% for all patients, compared with 83.3% in 2009-10 and 73.1% in 2000-01. The occupancy rate for overnight-stay patients was 68.4% in 2010-11, up from 66.2% in 2009-10 and 62.4% in 2000-01.
The number of full-time equivalent staff employed in Australia's Acute and psychiatric hospitals increased in 2010-11 to 55,053. This is up 3.1% from 2009-10, and up 23.1% from 2000-01.
Acute and psychiatric hospitals in Australia received a total income of $9,838 million during 2010-11, an increase of 8.8% over 2009-10. Total income is now 118% higher than in 2000-01, an average yearly increase of 8.1%. When income is adjusted to remove the effects of price changes over the period, the average annual increase over the ten years from 2000-01 ($6,089 million) to 2010-11 ($9,705 million) was 4.8%. For further information on the use of chain volume measures to adjust income and expenditure, see Explanatory Note 25. Patient revenue accounted for 95.5% of all income generated by Acute and psychiatric hospitals in 2010-11.
Recurrent expenditure for Acute and psychiatric hospitals for the 2010-11 cycle amounted to $8,949 million, a increase of 7.1% over the previous cycle. Recurrent expenditure is now 109% higher than in 2000-01, an average yearly increase of 7.6%. When recurrent expenditure is adjusted to remove the effects of price changes over the period, the average annual increase over the ten years from 2000-01 ($5,775 million) to 2010-11 ($8,828 million) was 4.3%.
Labour costs (including on-costs, such as employer contributions to superannuation and payroll tax) represented 50.6% of recurrent expenditure in 2010-11, compared to 51.6% in 2009-10 and 55.6% in 2000-01.
The average expenditure per patient day was $1,123 in 2010-11 compared with $1,102 in 2009-10 and $657 in 2000-01. When average expenditure per patient day is adjusted to remove the effects of price changes over the period, the average annual increase over the ten years from 2000-01 ($886) to 2010-11 ($1,108) was 2.3%.
This page last updated 24 October 2012
Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.