MAXIMUM PRESCHOOL PROGRAM HOURS AVAILABLE
Technical name: Service provider organisation - maximum preschool program hours available per week, total hours N[N]
METeOR identifier: 441232
METeOR link: http://meteor.aihw.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/441232
METeOR definition: The maximum number of hours of a preschool program available to children at this service per week, in total hours.
Inclusions: For all early childhood education and care services that deliver a preschool program:
- The maximum number of hours of the preschool program that was made available to children.
- Hours available in non-preschool programs offered by the service provider.
- Early childhood education and care services that do not deliver a preschool program.
Maximum preschool program hours available.
The maximum number of hours of the preschool program that was made available to children.
The maximum number of hours of the preschool program that was made available to children. As this data element is not able to be reported accurately at an individual child level, for each preschool program, count the highest enrolment hours during the reference period, and record this total for all children enrolled in that preschool program.
- Identifying and recording the maximum hours available per week for the chid to attend the preschool program enables calculation of the proportion of children enrolled in preschool programs that are available at least 15 hours per week.
- The maximum preschool program hours available are the maximum hours for which any one child could enrol in the preschool program in the reference period at that service.
- The maximum preschool program hours available could be impacted by a range of factors such as the structure of the preschool program, resources available at the service, the age and preschool readiness of the children and so on.
- Parents/guardians may choose to enrol children for hours that are equal to or less than the maximum hours the preschool program is available.
- The data element Maximum preschool program hours available may be less than or equal to the opening hours of the service.
Standard Jurisdictional Output Categories
- The operational definition differs from the nominal definition because maximum hours available to each child may not be recorded by service providers. Maximum hours available may differ for each child and this data element is reported at the aggregate level.
N[N], for example: 20
Maximum character length:
Unit of measure:
ns - Not stated/inadequately described
2.4.12 LEGAL VALUE CHECKS
Guide for Use
|Edit specifications||Edit resolution |
|If field is blank.||Provide a valid number of hours available, otherwise amend to code ‘ns’.|
|If character length is greater than 2.||Provide a valid number of hours available.|
- Enter the maximum hours available for which children are able to enrol in the preschool program during the reference period.
- Where this data element is not able to be reported accurately to determine the maximum preschool program hours available, enter the total hours enrolled for the child with the highest enrolment hours during the reference period, and record this total as the maximum hours available.
- Non-instructional times such as recess, tea breaks and lunch breaks should be included if the children will be under the supervision of the service provider.
- The maximum number of hours should be collected for each preschool program available at the service. Data should then be used to determine and report the maximum program length at the service provider level.
CODE ns - Not stated/inadequately described
- Jurisdictions that adopt a two week reference period are required to derive their data to a representative week.
For use when the maximum hours available at the service provider is unknown, not stated or inadequately described. Where the maximum hours available is unknown, the ABS requests that jurisdictions identify the reason for the unknown response and document any follow-up processes undertaken.
Related URL data element: Maximum preschool program hours available.