In March 2010 the ABS published the Discussion Paper: Census of Population and Housing - ABS Views on the 2011 Census Output Geography (cat. no. 2911.0.55.002).
The paper explained our Australian Statistical Geography Standard (ASGS) implementation plans for the 2011 Census data output. You were invited to comment on the proposed range of Census products and services available for the various levels of the ASGS. This second information paper summarises your feedback and our response. It outlines the changes which have been made to the original proposal.
Abbreviations used in this discussion paper can be found within the Explanatory Notes tab.
Most feedback was supportive of our plans to disseminate Census data on an ASGS basis.
However, a number of concerns were raised, including:
In response we have made the following changes:
- Indigenous Profiles not being available by Statistical Area Level geographies
- Time Series Profile only being available by Statistical Local Area and not on Statistical Area Level geographies
- The impact the change in geography classifications would have on time series data, and
- The impact on data availability for Place of Work, Address 1 Year Ago and Address 5 Years Ago
The Products by Geographic Availability table has been updated to reflect the above changes.
- Indigenous Profiles will be available for Statistical Area Level 2 through to Statistical Area Level 4
- All Community Profiles and DataPacks, apart from the Working Profile, will be available for Statistical Local Areas
- QuickStats will be available for Statistical Local Areas
- Time Series Profile will be released for a range of ASGS areas
- Place of Work, Address 1 year ago and address 5 year ago will be released for Statistical Area Level 2 and Local Government Area
- Boundaries for Statistical Local Areas and Local Government Areas will be finalised in June 2011 to ensure they are current for the 2011 Census
This page last updated 21 February 2011