ABS corporate governance arrangements ensure transparency in decision making, operation and accountability by promoting strong leadership, sound management and effective planning and review processes.
The Office of the Statistician has an important role as a focal point for ABS corporate governance. It supports the effective operation of governance forums, ensures that the ABS operates within the scope of its authority and legislative basis, and manages ABS audit, review and risk management activities.
Some of the key ABS corporate governance mechanisms are described below:
- a planning cycle to ensure that the ABS work program reflects current and emerging statistical priorities of users, and is consistent with the ABS mission and overall strategic directions
- senior management committees involved in developing policies and strategies, identifying priorities and monitoring ABS activities
- advisory bodies and user groups to enable the ABS to consult widely with the user community in relation to the ABS work program
- an audit and review program covering different facets of ABS operations and overseen by the Audit Committee
- a risk management framework to assist in identifying and managing risks at organisational, operational and project level
- instructions and manuals to ensure staff can access ABS policies and practices.