Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate the ABS website
ABS Home > Statistics > By Release Date
ABS @ Facebook ABS @ Twitter ABS RSS ABS Email notification service
1362.6 - Regional Statistics, Tasmania, 2005  
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 29/08/2003   
   Page tools: Print Print Page RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product  

During 2002, there were 20,940 apprentices and trainees in training in Tasmania, an increase of 7.5% from 19,481 in 2001. Of these, 2,722 (13.0%) were employed as Intermediate service workers, 2,509 (12.0%) as Labourers and related workers, and 2,391 (11.4%) as Intermediate clerical workers.

More males than females were employed as apprentices and trainees in Tasmania for 2001 and 2002 and this was the case for each region. In 2002, males accounted for 55.5% (11,615) of all apprentices and trainees in Tasmania and females accounted for the remaining 44.5% (9,325).


APPRENTICES AND TRAINEES IN TRAINING - Tasmania(a)(b)

2001

2002

Males
Females
Persons
Males
Females
Persons

Occupation being trained for

no.

no.

no.

no.

no.

no.

Managers, professionals & associate professionals
423
243
666
463
313
776
Tradespersons & related workers
Mechanical & fabrication engineering
651
4
655
575
4
579
Automotive
np
np
496
514
4
518
Electrical & electronics
469
5
474
472
4
476
Construction
np
np
566
np
np
649
Food
559
249
808
595
253
848
Skilled agricultural & horticultural
80
13
93
77
11
88
Other trades
305
408
713
272
403
675
Advanced clerical, sales & services workers
42
233
275
107
417
524
Intermediate clerical, sales & service workers
Intermediate clerical
355
1,700
2,055
572
1,819
2,391
Intermediate sales & related
495
570
1,065
738
995
1,733
Intermediate service
501
1,677
2,178
632
2,090
2,722
Intermediate production & transport workers
Intermediate plant
620
6
626
582
4
586
Intermediate machine
161
64
225
155
114
269
Road & rail
363
51
414
652
124
776
Other intermediate production & transport
1,714
187
1,901
1,473
151
1,624
Elementary clerical, sales & service workers
Elementary clerks
605
794
1,399
457
634
1,091
Elementary sales
624
1,498
2,122
492
1,218
1,710
Elementary service
295
86
381
334
62
396
Labourers & related workers
1,680
689
2,369
1,807
702
2,509
Total in training
10,999
8,482
19,481
11,615
9,325
20,940

Number in training as at 31 December(c)
7,287
5,031
12,318
7,791
5,776
13,567

np not available for publication, but included in totals where applicable, unless otherwise indicated
(a) Counts of apprentices and trainees are based on data available at April 2, 2003. Region determined by residential postcode.
(b) At any time during 2001 and 2002.
(c) The numbers at 31 December (end of year) are shown for comparison.

Source: Office of Post-Compulsory Education and Training, Department of Education.


FURTHER INFORMATION


This section contains the following subsection :
          Greater Hobart-Southern Region
          Northern Region
          Mersey-Lyell Region

Previous PageNext Page


Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window


Commonwealth of Australia 2014

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.