DECEMBER KEY FIGURES
Nov 2011 to Dec 2011
|Turnover at current prices |
|Seasonally Adjusted |
December Qtr 2011
September Qtr 2011 to December Qtr 2011
|Turnover in volume terms |
|Seasonally Adjusted |
DECEMBER KEY POINTS
Current Prices -
in volume terms -
- The trend estimate rose 0.2% in December 2011. This follows a rise of 0.2% in November 2011 and a rise of 0.2% in October 2011.
- The seasonally adjusted estimate fell 0.1% in December 2011. This follows a rise of 0.1% in November 2011 and a relatively unchanged October 2011 (0.0%).
- In trend terms, Australian turnover rose 3.0% in December 2011 compared with December 2010.
- The following industries rose in trend terms in December 2011: Household goods retailing (0.5%), Clothing, footwear and personal accessory retailing (0.9%), Food retailing (0.1%), Cafes, restaurants and takeaway food services (0.1%) and Department stores (0.1%). Other retailing (-0.2%) fell in trend terms in December 2011.
- The following states and territories rose in trend terms in December 2011: New South Wales (0.2%), Western Australia (0.5%), Victoria (0.1%) and South Australia (0.3%). The Australian Capital Territory (0.0%) was relatively unchanged. Queensland (-0.1%), Tasmania (-0.1%) and the Northern Territory (-0.1%) fell in trend terms in December 2011.
- In volume terms, the trend estimate for Australian turnover rose 0.4% in the December quarter 2011.
CHANGES IN THIS ISSUE
|ISSUE ||Release Date|
|January 2012 ||29 February 2012|
|February 2012 ||3 April 2012|
|March 2012 ||7 May 2012|
|April 2012 ||30 May 2012|
|May 2012 ||4 July 2012|
|June 2012 ||2 August 2012|
There are no changes in this issue.
The original estimates for Food retailing and Other retailing have been revised in October 2011 and November 2011 as a result of updated industry information for survey respondents. There are no revisions to estimates of total Australian retail turnover.
Revisions to seasonally adjusted estimates are due to revisions to original estimates as well as the concurrent methodology for deriving seasonal factors.
TIME SERIES DATA
- Data available from the Downloads tab of this issue on the ABS website include longer time series of tables in this publication, the quarterly chain volume measures and the following additional current price monthly series:
- Retail turnover by state and 15 industry subgroups in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Retail turnover completely enumerated and sample sector, by six industry groups in original terms
- Retail turnover completely enumerated and sample sector, by state in original terms
- Retail turnover completely enumerated sector, total level in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms.
For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070 or Paul Slater on Sydney (02) 9268 4581.