Australian Bureau of Statistics
6265.0 - Underemployed Workers, Australia, Sep 2002
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 17/04/2003
|Page tools: Print Page Print All RSS Search this Product|
SUMMARY OF FINDINGS
PART-TIME WORKERS WHO WANT MORE HOURS
In September 2002, there were 2,625,000 part-time workers. Of these, 22% wanted to work more hours, a decrease of two percentage points since September 2001. The proportion of part-time workers wanting more hours was higher for males (30%) than for females (19%). A similar pattern occurred in previous years.
In September 2002, there were 589,800 persons who worked part time and wanted to work more hours. The majority (57%) of these persons wanted to work full time, a decrease of 3 percentage points since September 2001. For males, the proportion who wanted to work full time (72%) has not changed since September 2001, whereas the proportion of females wanting to work full time has dropped by 5 percentage points (from 52% to 47%).
The median duration of the current period of insufficient work for persons who worked part time and wanted to work more hours was 26 weeks for both males and females. For males aged 45-54 years, the median duration of insufficient work was 43 weeks, compared with 50 weeks for females.
There were 243,500 part-time workers looking for work with more hours who were available to start work with more hours in the reference week. This is the group of underemployed workers which most closely aligns with criteria applied in the ABS definition of unemployment, that is, actively looking for work, and available for work in the reference week. Females comprised just over half of these workers (56%).
Of those 589,800 persons working part time who wanted to work more hours, 77% (453,900) had looked for work with more hours in the four weeks prior to the survey, or were available to start work with more hours in the reference week. The remaining 23% (135,900 persons) were not looking for work with more hours in the four weeks prior to the survey and were not available in the reference week. Of these, 80,200 were available to start work with more hours within the next four weeks.
Ninety-one per cent (534,100) of part-time workers wanting more hours were looking for or available to start work with more hours in the reference week or within four weeks. This proportion has remained steady since September 2000. Almost one-third (31%) of these usually work 10 hours or less.
The mean preferred number of extra hours each week was 15.2 hours. Males wanted to work an average of 16.7 extra hours compared with an average of 14.2 extra hours for females. The mean preferred number of extra hours was highest for persons aged 25-34 years (16.5 hours) and lowest for persons aged 15-19 years (13.5 hours).
MEAN EXTRA HOURS WANTED
Of those persons who usually work 10 hours or less per week, just over half (55%) wanted up to 19 extra hours. Thirty-nine per cent of those who usually work 11-20 hours wanted 20-29 extra hours, and 40% wanted to work 10-19 extra hours per week. Nearly all those who usually work 21-34 hours (97%) wanted less than 20 extra hours.
The steps most frequently taken to find work with more hours were:
These documents will be presented in a new window.
This page last updated 20 June 2006