SEPTEMBER KEY FIGURES
Sep Qtr 2007
Jun Qtr 2008
Sep Qtr 2008
|CONSOLIDATED ASSETS |
|Superannuation funds |
|Public unit trusts |
|Life insurance offices(a) |
|All other managed funds |
1 391 016
1 320 458
1 291 835
|(a) Investments by superannuation funds which are held and administered by life insurance offices are included under life insurance offices. |
|Note: See note on consolidation in Explanatory Notes, paragraph 10. |
SEPTEMBER KEY POINTS
Type of institution
Type of asset
- At 30 September 2008, total consolidated assets of managed funds institutions was $1,291.8b, a decrease of $28.6b on the revised June quarter 2008 figure of $1,320.5b.
- Consolidated assets of superannuation funds decreased by $15.2b (2%); life insurance offices decreased by $3.8b (2%); public unit trusts decreased by $7.4b (3%); cash management trusts decreased by $2.2b (5%); and friendly societies decreased by $0.1b (4%). Consolidated assets of common funds increased marginally by $0.1b (1%).
- Investment in equities and units in trusts decreased by $34.2b (7%); loans and placements decreased by $0.3b (1%); and other assets decreased by $1.9b (4%). These were partially offset by increases in cash and deposits, up $3.3b (2%); short term securities, up $2.5b (2%); land and buildings, up $1.5b (1%) and assets overseas, up $2.2b (1%).
- Falling asset values continued to have a significant impact on the assets of managed funds. During the September quarter 2008, the S&P/ASX 200 fell 11.8% and the price of foreign shares (represented by the MSCI World Index) fell 16.6%. Partially offsetting this, the A$ depreciated against the US$ by 16.9%.
- At 30 September 2008, investment managers had $1,132.4b in funds under management, down $48.8b (4%) on the revised June quarter 2008 figure of $1,181.2b. They managed $757.5b (59%) of the consolidated assets of managed funds institutions.
REVISIONS IN THIS ISSUE
|ISSUE (QUARTER) ||Release Date|
|December 2008 ||26 February 2009|
|March 2009 ||28 May 2009|
|June 2009 ||27 August 2009|
|September 2009 ||26 November 2009|
There have been revisions in some series as a result of improvements to methodology and coverage; quality assurance work undertaken with data providers; and the receipt of revised administrative data. Specifically, life insurance office data was revised back to June 2008; superannuation data back to March 2005; public unit trust data back to June 2003; common fund data back to June 2008; cash management trust data back to December 2007; and investment manager data back to June 2003. No revisions were made to friendly society data.
For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070 or Judy Sykes on Canberra (02) 6252 5222.
This page last updated 25 February 2009