DECEMBER KEY FIGURES
November 2017 to December 2017
|Turnover at current prices |
|Seasonally Adjusted |
December Qtr 2017
September Qtr 2017 to December Qtr 2017
|Turnover in volume terms |
|Seasonally Adjusted |
DECEMBER KEY POINTS
Current Prices -
in volume terms -
- The trend estimate rose 0.2% in December 2017. This follows a rise of 0.2% in November 2017 and a rise of 0.2% in October 2017.
- The seasonally adjusted estimate fell 0.5% in December 2017. This follows a rise of 1.3% in November 2017 and a rise of 0.5% in October 2017.
- In trend terms, Australian turnover rose 2.0% in December 2017 compared with December 2016.
- The following industries rose in trend terms in December 2017: Food retailing (0.3%), Cafes, restaurants and takeaway food services (0.4%), Household goods retailing (0.2%), Clothing, footwear and personal accessory retailing (0.5%), and Department stores (0.1%). Other retailing (-0.2%) fell in trend terms in December 2017.
- The following states and territories rose in trend terms in December 2017: Victoria (0.5%), New South Wales (0.1%), South Australia (0.6%), Queensland (0.1%), and Tasmania (0.2%). Western Australia (0.0%) and the Australian Capital Territory (0.0%) were relatively unchanged. The Northern Territory (-0.2%) fell in trend terms in December 2017.
- In volume terms, the trend estimate for Australian turnover rose (0.5%) in the December quarter 2017.
CHANGES IN THIS ISSUE
|ISSUE ||Release Date|
|January 2018 ||6 March 2018|
|February 2018 ||4 April 2018|
|March 2018 ||8 May 2018|
|April 2018 ||4 June 2018|
|May 2018 ||4 July 2018|
|June 2018 ||3 August 2018|
This issue includes updated quarterly measures of total retail turnover per capita. The full time series is available from the Downloads tab of this publication on the ABS website.
Updated online retail turnover estimates for the December 2017 reference month are provided and explained within the appendix section of this publication.
There are no revisions to the original estimates. Revisions to seasonally adjusted estimates are due to the concurrent methodology for deriving seasonal factors. For information on seasonal adjustment and trend estimation please refer to the explanatory notes of this publication.
TIME SERIES DATA
Data available from the Downloads tab of this issue on the ABS website include longer time series of tables in this publication:
- Monthly retail turnover by state and 15 industry subgroups in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Monthly retail turnover completely enumerated and sample sectors, by six industry groups and also by state in original terms
- Monthly retail turnover completely enumerated sector, total level in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Quarterly retail chain volume measures by six industry groups and also by state in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Quarterly retail turnover per capita in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Quarterly sales to households by selected service industries in original terms.