MARCH KEY FIGURES
Dec Qtr 2011
Mar Qtr 2012
|Total managed funds industry |
1 784 635
1 869 525
|Consolidated assets total managed funds institutions |
1 408 569
1 475 813
|Cross invested assets between managed funds institutions |
|Unconsolidated assets total managed funds institutions |
1 781 185
1 867 633
|Life insurance corporations |
|Superannuation (pension) funds |
1 255 140
1 327 090
|Public offer (retail) unit trusts |
|All other managed funds institutions |
MARCH KEY POINTS
TOTAL MANAGED FUNDS INDUSTRY
by type of institution
CONSOLIDATED ASSETS OF MANAGED FUNDS INSTITUTIONS
- At 31 March 2012 the managed funds industry had $1,869.5b funds under management, an increase of $84.9b (5%) on the December quarter 2011 figure of $1,784.6b. This was driven by the increase of $67.2b in consolidated assets of managed funds institutions.
- The main valuation effects that occurred during the March quarter 2012 were as follows: the S&P/ASX 200 increased 6.9%, the price of foreign shares (represented by the MSCI World Index) increased 10.9% and the A$ appreciated 1.3% against the US$.
CROSS INVESTED ASSETS
- At 31 March 2012 the consolidated assets of managed funds institutions was $1,475.8b, an increase of $67.2b (5%) on the December quarter 2011 figure of $1,408.6b.
- The asset types to increase during the quarter were shares, $28.5b (7%); overseas assets, $15.9b (7%); deposits, $10.8b (6%); units in trusts, $5.4b (3%); bonds, etc., $4.1b (6%); short term securities, $2.4b (3%); land, buildings and equipment, $1.5b (1%); and loans and placements, $0.5b (1%). These were partially offset by decreases in other non-financial assets, $1.2b (6%); and derivatives, $0.4b (20%). Other financial assets were flat.
- At 31 March 2012 there were $391.8b of assets cross invested between managed funds institutions.
- At 31 March 2012 the unconsolidated assets of superannuation (pension) funds increased by $72.0b (6%); life insurance corporations increased by $10.5b (5%); public offer (retail) trusts increased by $3.0b (1%); cash management trusts increased by $0.8b (3%); common funds and friendly societies were flat.
|ISSUE (QUARTER) ||Release Date|
|June 2012 ||30 August 2012|
|September 2012 ||29 November 2012|
|December 2012 ||28 February 2013|
|March 2013 ||30 May 2013|
There have been revisions in some series as a result of the receipt of revised administrative data and revised survey data.
- Superannuation; investment manager; and public unit trust data have been revised back to the September quarter 2005.
- Life insurance corporations; friendly society; and common fund data have been revised for the December Quarter 2011.
- Cash management trusts had no revisions to previous quarters data.
For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070 or Joseph Madaffari on Canberra (02) 6252 5842.
This page last updated 29 August 2012