MAY KEY FIGURES
Apr 08 to May 08
|Turnover at current prices |
|Trend estimates |
|Seasonally adjusted estimates |
MAY KEY POINTS
Trend estimates -
SEASONALLY ADJUSTED ESTIMATES
- The trend estimate of turnover for the Australian Retail and Hospitality/Services series increased by 0.1% in May 2008 when compared with April 2008. This follows revised increases of 0.1% in the previous two months.
- In May 2008 all industries, except Household good retailing (-0.2%) and Hospitality and services (-0.5%), had an increase in the trend estimate. Industries with the largest increase were Recreational good retailing, Other retailing (both +0.5%) and Clothing and soft good retailing (+0.3%).
- The seasonally adjusted estimate of turnover for the Australian Retail and Hospitality/Services series increased by 0.7% in May 2008. This follows a revised decrease of 0.1% in April 2008 and a revised increase of 0.3% in March 2008.
- Industries that had an increase in the seasonally adjusted estimate were Food retailing (+1.0%), Recreational good retailing (+2.2%), Other retailing (+3.1%) and Hospitality and services (+0.8%), while Department stores (-0.8%), Clothing and soft good retailing (-0.3%) and Household good retailing (-1.0%) decreased.
- In original terms, Australian turnover increased by 3.6% in May 2008 compared with April 2008. Chains and other large retailers (which are completely enumerated) increased by 3.6%, while the estimate for 'smaller' retailers (the sampled units) also increased by 3.6%.
- Australian turnover increased by 6.6% in May 2008 compared with May 2007. Chains and other large retailers increased by 9.0%, while 'smaller' retailers increased by 3.4%.
CHANGES IN THIS ISSUE
|ISSUE ||Release Date|
|June 2008 ||31 July 2008|
|July 2008 ||2 September 2008|
|August 2008 ||30 September 2008|
|September 2008 ||3 November 2008|
|October 2008 ||2 December 2008|
|November 2008 ||7 January 2009|
There are no changes in this issue.
Standard errors for the Australian estimates (original data) for May 2008 contained in this publication are:
|Data Series |
|Level of retail turnover ($m) |
|Change from preceding month ($m) |
|% change from preceding month (%) |
For more information see the Explanatory Notes, paragraphs 32-36.
For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070 or Rod Cowie on Canberra (02) 6252 6720.
This page last updated 30 July 2008