06/10/2009 Note: Retail trade chain volume measures on an ANZSIC 2006 basis, up to June quarter 2009, are available from the Downloads tab of this issue.
AUGUST KEY FIGURES
Jul 09 to Aug 09
|Turnover at current prices |
|Trend estimates |
|Seasonally adjusted estimates |
|na not available |
AUGUST KEY POINTS
SUSPENSION OF TREND ESTIMATES
Current prices -
- The retail trade current price trend series have been suspended as at November 2008 as it is not possible to determine the trend in retail turnover through the period affected by the Government's stimulus package and other influences associated with global economic conditions. For further details refer to the December 2008 issue of this publication.
- The seasonally adjusted estimate increased by 0.9% in August 2009. This follows a revised decrease of 0.9% in July 2009 and a decrease of 0.8% in June 2009.
- In original terms, Australian turnover decreased 1.1% in August 2009 compared with July 2009. Chains and other large retailers (which are completely enumerated) decreased 1.5% and the estimate for 'smaller' retailers decreased 0.3%. Australian turnover increased 5.3% in August 2009 compared with August 2008.
- In seasonally adjusted terms, Food retailing (+1.8%), Household goods retailing (+0.9%), Department stores (+2.4%) and Cafes, restaurants and takeaway food services (+1.9%) had an increase in August 2009. Other retailing decreased 3.0% and Clothing, footwear and personal accessory retailing had no percentage change.
- In seasonally adjusted terms all states, except the Northern Territory (-0.7%), had an increase in August 2009. States with the largest increases were Queensland and Tasmania (both +1.4%), South Australia (+1.1%) and New South Wales (+0.8%).
CHANGES IN THIS ISSUE
|ISSUE ||Release Date|
|September 2009 ||4 November 2009|
|October 2009 ||3 December 2009|
|November 2009 ||7 January 2010|
|December 2009 ||4 February 2010|
|January 2010 ||2 March 2010|
|February 2010 ||31 March 2010|
As outlined in the July 2009 issue of this publication, the Retail trade series are presented according to the 2006 edition of the Australian and New Zealand Standard Industrial Classification. The completely enumerated and sample sector time series up to August 2009 are now available from the Downloads tab of this issue on the ABS website. Chain volume measures series up to the June quarter 2009 will be available from the Downloads tab of this issue on Tuesday 6 October 2009.
There have been revisions to July 2009 data due to the correction of reporting errors. These revisions affect Food retailing for New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland and relevant aggregates.
TIME SERIES DATA
Data available from the Downloads tab of this issue on the ABS website include longer time series of tables in this publication and the following additional current price monthly series:
- Retail turnover by state and 15 industry subgroups in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Retail turnover completely enumerated and sample sector, by six industry groups in original terms
- Retail turnover completely enumerated and sample sector, by state in original terms
- Retail turnover completely enumerated sector, total level in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms.
For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070 or Neil Hamilton on Canberra (02) 6252 5990.