DECEMBER KEY FIGURES
November 2013 to December 2013
|Turnover at current prices |
|Seasonally Adjusted |
December Qtr 2013
September Qtr 2013 to December Qtr 2013
|Turnover in volume terms |
|Seasonally Adjusted |
DECEMBER KEY POINTS
Current Prices -
in volume terms -
- The trend estimate rose 0.6% in December 2013. This follows a rise of 0.6% in November 2013 and a rise of 0.6% in October 2013.
- The seasonally adjusted estimate rose 0.5% in December 2013. This follows a rise of 0.7% in November 2013 and a rise of 0.5% in October 2013.
- In trend terms, Australian turnover rose 4.6% in December 2013 compared with December 2012.
- The following industries rose in trend terms in December 2013: Food retailing (0.6%), Cafes, restaurants and takeaway food services (1.2%), Other retailing (0.5%), Clothing, footwear and personal accessory retailing (0.7%), Department stores (0.4%) and Household goods retailing (0.1%).
- The following states and territories rose in trend terms in December 2013: New South Wales (0.7%), Victoria (0.7%), Queensland (0.4%), Western Australia (0.6%), Tasmania (1.0%) South Australia (0.2%), the Australian Capital Territory (0.5%) and the Northern Territory (0.1%).
- In volume terms, the trend estimate for Australian turnover rose 0.6% in the December quarter 2013.
CHANGES IN THIS ISSUE
|ISSUE ||Release Date|
|January 2014 ||6 March 2014|
|February 2014 ||3 April 2014|
|March 2014 ||7 May 2014|
|April 2014 ||3 June 2014|
|May 2014 ||3 July 2014|
|June 2014 ||4 August 2014|
This issue includes updated online retail turnover estimates for the October 2013 reference month. These estimates are provided and explained within the appendix section of this publication.
When the October 2013 Retail Business Survey data was released we advised that we had updated our stratification benchmarks and that, should revisions to the historical series be required to smooth level shifts back into the monthly and quarterly estimates, these revisions would be applied in the December 2013 issue. Analysis has shown that some back casting is required. However, the work was not completed in time for this publication and will be included in the March 2014 issue.
There are no revisions to the original estimates. Revisions to seasonally adjusted estimates are due to the concurrent methodology for deriving seasonal factors.
TIME SERIES DATA
Data available from the Downloads tab of this issue on the ABS website include longer time series of tables in this publication, the quarterly chain volume measures and the following additional current price monthly series:
- Retail turnover by state and 15 industry subgroups in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Retail turnover completely enumerated and sample sector, by six industry groups in original terms
- Retail turnover completely enumerated and sample sector, by state in original terms
- Retail turnover completely enumerated sector, total level in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms.
For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070 or Amanda Biltoft on Sydney (02) 9268 4642.
This page last updated 5 March 2014