DECEMBER KEY FIGURES
Sep Qtr 2016 to Dec Qtr 2016
Dec Qtr 2015 to Dec Qtr 2016
|Weighted average of eight capital cities |
|All groups CPI |
|Food and non-alcoholic beverages |
|Alcohol and tobacco |
|Clothing and footwear |
|Furnishings, household equipment and services |
|Recreation and culture |
|Insurance and financial services |
|CPI analytical series |
|All groups CPI, seasonally adjusted |
|Trimmed mean |
|Weighted median |
DECEMBER KEY POINTS
THE ALL GROUPS CPI
All Groups CPI,
Contribution to quarterly change
OVERVIEW OF CPI MOVEMENTS
- rose 0.5% this quarter, compared with a rise of 0.7% in the September quarter 2016.
- rose 1.5% over the twelve months to the December quarter 2016, compared with a rise of 1.3% over the twelve months to the September quarter 2016.
- The most significant price rises this quarter are tobacco (+7.4%), automotive fuel (+6.7%), domestic holiday travel and accommodation (+5.5%) and new dwelling purchase by owner-occupiers (+0.5%).
- The most significant offsetting price falls this quarter are international holiday travel and accommodation (-2.6%), accessories (-5.1%) and waters, soft drinks and juices (-3.2%).
CHANGES IN THIS ISSUE
|ISSUE (QUARTER) ||Release Date|
|March 2017 ||26 April 2017|
|June 2017 ||26 July 2017|
|September 2017 ||25 October 2017|
|December 2017 ||31 January 2018|
This issue includes the following:
Tradables and Non-tradables
Implementation of the changes outlined in the September quarter 2016 feature article Review of the Consumer Price Index International Trade Exposure Series
are included in this publication. As a result of the review, the following changes have been made:
- Expenditure classes changing from Non-tradables to Tradables include: Breakfast cereals; Waters, soft drinks and juices; Gas and other household fuels; Therapeutic appliances and equipment; and Newspaper, magazines and stationery.
- Expenditure classes changing from Tradables to Non-tradables include: Spirits; Tobacco; and Pharmaceutical products.
The International trade exposure series are located in Table 8. Reflecting these changes, the 'Contribution to Total CPI' series for Tradables and Non-tradables are available from September quarter 2016.
This issue contains a feature article: Measuring Price Change of Attached Dwellings in the CPI
. The changes outlined in this review will be implemented in the March quarter 2017 issue of the CPI, which is scheduled for release 26 April 2017.
Any discrepancies between totals and sums of components in this publication are due to rounding.
For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070.