30/04/2009 Note: The Western Australian Local General Government borrowings data for 2007-08 published in Government Finance Statistics (cat. no. 5512.0) was incorrect. The published figure of zero should have been $372 million. This amount has impacted on borrowings (increase), total liabilities (increase) and net worth (decrease) in the balance sheets for General Government, Non-financial Public Sector and Total Public sector for Western Australian Local, State and Local and Australia.
Changes have been made to the Main Features and 14 data cubes affected, being Tables:
000. All Levels of Government by Sector
335. General Government - Local - Western Australia
339. General Government - Local - Total Local
939. General Government - Australia: All levels of government
349. Non-financial Public Sector - Total Local
949. Non-financial Public Sector - Australia: All levels of government
399. Total Public Sector - Total Local
999. Total Public Sector - Australia: All levels of government
535. General Government - State and Local - Western Australia
539. General Government - State and Local - Total State
545. Non-financial Public Sector - State and Local - Western Australia
549. Non-financial Public Sector - State and Local - Total State
595. Total Public Sector - State and Local - Western Australia
599. Total Public Sector - State and Local - Total State
20/04/2009 Note: The data cube for Table 439 - General Government - Multi-jurisdictional - Total has been replaced as it represented data from the Public Non-financial Corporations sector and not General Government.
ABOUT THIS PUBLICATION
This publication presents government finance statistics (GFS) on an accrual accounting basis for each jurisdiction for general government, public non-financial corporations, the non-financial public sector, public financial corporations and the total public sector as follows:
- Operating statements;
- Cash flow statements; and
- Balance sheets.
These data are available on the ABS web site as time series tables for the periods 1998-99 to 2007-08.
Users interested in quarterly GFS data for the current financial year should refer to Government Finance Statistics, Australia, Quarterly
(Cat. no. 5519.0.55.001).
CHANGES IN THE PRESENTATION OF DATA IN THIS PUBLICATION
Previously, Government Finance Statistics, Australia
was presented as a PDF publication with Data Cubes and Web based Main Features and Explanatory Notes.
For the 2007-08 release, ABS has discontinued the PDF version of the publication and now presents the publication in Web format only.
To ensure that data presented in the Government Finance Statistics, Australia
PDF is still available the following changes have be made:
- Tables 1 - 9 from the PDF, All Levels of Government Operating Statement, Cash Flow Statement and Balance sheet are now presented as a separate Data Cube;
- Tables 10 - 18 from the PDF, State and Local Government Operating Statement, Cash Flow Statement and Balance sheet are now presented as separate Data Cubes in time series format for each jurisdiction for the General Government, Non-financial Public Sector and Total Public Sector;
- Tables 31 and 32 from the PDF, General Government Expenses By Purpose have been moved to the Summary of Findings; and
- New time series Data Cubes have been added which present Local General Government Operating Statements, Cash Flow Statements and Balance Sheets for each jurisdiction.
Within GFS the consolidated total of the general government and the public non-financial corporations sectors is referred to as the 'non-financial public sector'. The consolidated total of the general government, the public non-financial corporations and the public financial corporations sectors is referred to as the 'total public sector'
In this publication, the term 'state' includes the two territories. Therefore 'state' refers to 'state and territory' and 'state and local' refers to 'state, territory and local'.
For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070 or Mark Patton on Canberra (02) 6252 7926.
This page last updated 23 April 2010