The ABS provides information on Australia's international trade in goods and services in three publications:
Estimates may be revised between the monthly estimates in cat. no. 5368.0, the preliminary estimates in this publication and the quarterly estimates in cat. no. 5302.0. The June quarter issue of Balance of Payments and International Investment Position, Australia (cat. no. 5302.0) will be released on 3 September 2013.
PRELIMINARY CURRENT PRICE ESTIMATES OF BALANCE ON GOODS AND SERVICES
- International Trade in Goods and Services, Australia (cat. no. 5368.0) provides monthly current price estimates for both credits (exports) and debits (imports).
- This publication provides the following selected broad level preliminary quarterly estimates for the current quarter:
- current price estimates of the balance on goods and services, and
- chain volume measures and price indexes for goods debits.
- Balance of Payments and International Investment Position, Australia (cat. no. 5302.0) provides quarterly estimates in current prices, chain volume measures and price indexes for goods and services credits and debits plus the full balance of payments and international investment position in current prices.
- In seasonally adjusted current price terms, the balance on goods and services was a deficit of $18m in the June quarter 2013, a turnaround of $140m on the March quarter 2013 surplus of $122m. The main components contributing to the turnaround to deficit were:
- goods debits, up $1,709m (3%)
- capital goods n.e.s., up $1,018m (32%).
- services debits, up $46m
- other services, up $111m (2%).
- goods credits, up $1,513m (2%)
- metal ores and minerals, up $848m (4%).
- services credits, up $103m (1%)
PRELIMINARY ESTIMATES OF CHAIN VOLUME MEASURES AND PRICE INDEXES FOR GOODS DEBITS (footnote 1, footnote 2)
- Goods and services debits data, in original and seasonally adjusted terms, have been revised since the release of the June 2013 issue of International Trade in Goods and Services, Australia (cat. no. 5368.0).
- In seasonally adjusted terms, goods imports volumes rose 2.7% and the implicit price deflator rose 0.1% during the June quarter 2013.
- In original terms, the chain Laspeyres price index fell 0.1% and the implicit price deflator fell 0.2%.
In the March quarter 2013 issue of Balance of Payments and International Investment Position, Australia
(cat. no. 5302.0) the ABS announced changes to be introduced in the June quarter 2013 issue. The changes were to include estimates of the assets and liabilities of persons changing residency and changes to the model used to derive withholding taxes. These changes will now be introduced in the September quarter 2013 issue of that publication.
For further information contact Val Tot on Canberra (02) 6252 5540.
1 Reference year for chain volume measures and price index is 2010–11. See paragraphs 16 to 18 of the Explanatory Notes
2 In this commentary movements in indexes are based on data to four decimal places.