A series of fact sheets and evaluation papers have been produced about the 1996 Census of Population and Housing. The following information papers provide details about many aspects of the Census.
The major findings of the information papers are also published in the census newsletter, Census Update. For a free copy of Census Update, contact Census Marketing on 1800 813 939.
How Australia Takes a Census
How Australia Takes a Census provides information about the history of the census, the planning process behind the census and the way in which census data are collected, processed and published.
Census Working Papers
A series of working papers are produced to assess and report on various aspects of 1996 Census data quality. Several census topics are examined in detail, such as the impact of form design, collection procedures and data processing on data quality.
The following papers have already been released:
The following papers are expected to be produced:
- 96/2 1996 Census Form Design Testing Program
- 96/3 Digital Geography Technical Information Paper
- 97/1 Homeless Enumeration Strategy
Census Fact Sheets
- Labour force status;
- Indigenous Enumeration Strategy (Field Objective);
- Industry ;
- Occupation; and
- Journey to work .
Census Fact Sheets are produced progressively and discuss issues that arise during and after the publication of census data.
Fact sheets on the following topics have been produced:
Census Fact Sheets can be obtained from ABS offices.
Census Update provides information about census products, services and related topics.
Articles on products and services including case studies of census data usage are provided.
Information about popular electronic products are also highlighted in this informative census newsletter.
The major findings of the information papers are also published in Census Update. For a free copy of Census Update, contact Census Marketing on 1800 813 939.
- Fact Sheet 1 - 1996 Census AGSC Structure
- Fact Sheet 2 - Number of 1996 Census geographic areas
- Fact Sheet 3 - Number of categories in 1996 Census hierarchical fields
- Fact Sheet 4 - Census Dwelling Counts
- Fact Sheet 5 - Difference between Census Counts and ERP figures
- Fact Sheet 6 - Changes to Variables 1991 - 1996
- Fact Sheet 7 - Income imputation
- Fact Sheet 8 - Confidentiality in Output
- Fact Sheet 9 - Usual Residence Indicator
- Fact Sheet 10 - Non-response rates
- Fact Sheet 11 - Changes to Geographic Areas between censuses
- Fact Sheet 12 - 1996 Census Postal Area information
- Fact Sheet 13 - Postal Areas allocation alternatives
- Fact Sheet 14 - Journey to Work
- Fact Sheet 15 - Overseas Visitors
- Fact Sheet 16 - Labour Force Status
- Fact Sheet 17 - 1996 Miscellaneous Collection Districts
- Fact Sheet 18 - Age Left School