7122.0.55.001 - Stocks of Grain Held by Bulk Handling Companies and Grain Traders, Australia, June 2009  
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 31/07/2009   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product


July 31, 2009 Embargoed 11.30am (AEST) 54/2009

Wheat grain stocks estimated at 7 million tonnes: ABS

Stocks of wheat held by bulk grain handlers in Australia was 7 million tonnes at the end of June 2009, according to figures released today by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).

Of this, 77% was 'milling' grade, with the remaining 23% 'feed' grade. Stocks of wheat held by bulk grain handlers have fallen by 7.4 million tonnes, or 48% in the 6 months since December 2008.

The ABS collects these data on a monthly basis as part of a suite of collections to provide information on wheat used and committed in Australia. These collections are funded by the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry to support changed wheat export marketing arrangements and meet the recommendations of the Wheat Industry Expert Group.

The information in this publication will also be published in the Wheat Use and Stocks, Australia (cat. no. 7307.0) publication which contains more comprehensive statistics about wheat grain stocks in the Australian economy. Stocks of Grain Stored by Bulk Grain Handlers, Australia will be regularly released prior to the monthly release of Wheat Use and Stocks, Australia.

Stocks of Grain Stored by Bulk Grain Handlers, Australia (cat. no. 7122.0.55.001) is available online and can be downloaded free of charge. The ABS welcomes any feedback in relation to the range, usefulness and quality of the statistics available in this publication.

Media Note: When reporting on ABS data, please attribute either the Australian Bureau of Statistics or ABS as the source.