Water Account Australia 2009-10
- Water consumption in the Murray-Darling Basin in 2009-10 amounted to 5,696 GL, or 42% of total water consumption in Australia. This compared to 6,003 GL in 2008-09 or a decrease of 5%.
- The Agriculture industry in the Murray-Darling Basin consumed 3,906 GL, or 56%, of the total volume consumed by agriculture for Australia.
- The gross value of irrigated agricultural production in the Murray-Darling Basin increased by 1% from $4,349 million in 2008-09 to $4,386 million in 2009-10. The 2009-10 value represents 38% of the total gross value of irrigated agricultural production in Australia.
- Household consumption of water was 185 GL in 2009-10, or 10% of total household water consumption for Australia. Household water consumption in the Murray-Darling Basin decreased 3% from 2008-09 (191 GL).
- Household water use per capita was 84 kL, a decrease from 89 kL per capita in 2008-09.
- Water losses in the distribution process amounted to 1,278 GL, or 28%, of distributed water supply for the Murray-Darling Basin.
- In-stream use of water, mostly for hydro-electricity, in the Electricity and gas supply industry was 10,759 GL, representing 22% of the Australian total in-stream water use in this industry.