Statistical Language! (cat. no. 1332.0.55.002) is an educational resource from the ABS designed to improve the reader's understanding of some fundamental statistical concepts. Written in plain English for adults, this publication includes descriptions of the mean, median, mode, index, percentage, probability, range, rate, ratio, measures of error and spread, populations and samples, and seasonally adjusted and trend time series. It contains examples and diagrams which explain when (or when not) to use the various measures and how to calculate them.
The aim of 'Statistical Language!' is to help users:
- understand key statistical terminology;
- facilitate access to the expanding level of statistical information presented to the public;
- gain confidence with interpreting summarised information;
- appreciate the importance of statistical information in today’s society; and
- make critical and informed use of data, whatever its source.